Introduction: Tacos are a popular Mexican dish enjoyed worldwide for their versatility, taste, and ease of preparation. This recipe for a taco casserole transforms the classic taco into a layered casserole that’s ideal for serving a group. With layers of ground beef, cheese, and fresh tomato mixture, this taco casserole is perfect for your next family gathering or dinner party.
- 12-13 soft flour 6-inch tortillas
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packets of taco seasoning
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapenos (optional)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 3 cups taco cheese or shredded Mexican cheese
- 1.5 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning
- Sour cream for garnish
- Diced green onions for garnish
- Prepare the Fresh Tomato Mixture: In a small bowl, combine the diced red onions, green onions, jalapenos, and diced tomatoes. Add salt to taste and set the mixture aside.
- Brown the Ground Beef: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and discard any excess grease. Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Prepare the Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream and butter to a boil while stirring. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and add 2 cups of cheese. Add the Cajun seasoning and keep the cheese sauce warm.
- Assemble the Casserole: Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish, layer 4 tortillas on the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of ground beef, followed by a layer of the fresh tomato mixture, and then a layer of the cheese sauce. Repeat this layering process up to three times, ending with a layer of cheese sauce.
- Bake and Serve: Top the casserole with one cup of cheese and bake for 20 minutes covered, then remove the cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Once baked, remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and diced green onions.
Indulge in a delectable variation of traditional tacos with this scrumptious taco casserole, which is ideal for serving a group of people. It comprises well-seasoned ground beef, a delightful blend of fresh tomatoes, and a velvety cheese sauce, making it a certain hit with your family. The beauty of this dish lies in its flexibility, as you can easily personalize it by adding your preferred toppings like creamy avocado, earthy black beans, or pungent cilantro. So, gather your loved ones and relish this mouth-watering casserole that’s not only delicious but also easy to prepare!